Skip to main content

Going Going. .. Actually we have no idea

Jolín this week has been a Russian mountain. (that's what they call a Rollercoaster in Spanish) first off, today is my last day in Villalba! I'll be heading to San Sebastián de Los Reyes tonight! My new companion is Hermana Barney, we were in the MTC together so it'll be fun. It's also the area of the mission home so you know I'll be partying with the mission president and his wife every day. I'm sad to leave Villalba and all the people there, but I know they're in good hands (the Lord's and also Hermana Fernández).

Ok but the last four days was I think the first time I actually almost had a heart attack. As you know, our friend Fran was supposed to get baptized on Saturday. On Wednesday, we finished up the lessons by teaching him about tithing. The lesson went well and he was pumped to pay tithing and receive blessings. And then on Thursday morning we received a text that said, "Hola chicas, you have really helped me grow closer to God and make some important changes in my life and for that I am very grateful but I am not going to get baptized and I'm going to return to the catholic church." WHAT. We didn't know what to do. We were devastated. We had an eating cita with a member so we went and tried to be happy. On the way out of our Cita, we received another text from him that said, " I can't pay a full tithe, it would be too hard on my economy." ooh that text made us so happy. Because we knew he knew that this is the true church, he was just worried about providing for him and his son. We asked him if we could meet and talk more  but he didn't have time that day but he said Friday yes. And then all Friday he wasn't answering us. We were really stressed out because we were pretty sure that we wouldn't be having a baptism the next day. We had to text all the members and cancel everything and we were really sad. Friday night he finally answered us and said he could meet the next morning. So at 11:00 Saturday morning we met with him and yes! He knows this is the church of Jesus Christ and we were able to help him recognize the blessings he has received so far from keeping the commandments and he recommitted to live the law of tithing. And we asked him how he felt about his baptism and he said he wanted to do it. So we said ummm how about tomorrow? And he said OK! So we called our district leader and he did the baptismal interview at 5:30 on Saturday and said that Fran was super prepared to get baptized. Wahoo! So we texted all the members again and said haha just kidding, fran's getting baptized tomorrow night! We had a bit more opposition from a few members and the bishop but we got everything settled and started replanning. After church on Sunday, a member of the bishopric helped us make the program and print it out and everything and a lot of members were being super helpful. And then the capilla became our home for the day. The baptism was at 7 and it takes about three hours to fill the font, so we made a pizza and did our studies at the church haha. Quite the adventure because church ovens dont work and we hadn't planned on that. But missionaries can be very creative when they need to be. And theeeeen... Yet another heart attack of the week, Fran called and said he doesn't know if he wants to get baptized and he'll call us back in ten minutes to let us know what he decides. Aaaahhh holy cow Satan was working hard on that man. And 10 minutes passed. 3 hours passed actually. A little over an hour until the baptism and we weren't sure if we were gonna have our person. So we sent him a casual "hey remember to bring a towel and sandals and white clothes underneath." and we waited. And we got an "ok." ummmm ok? "and maybe arrive a few minutes early so we can fill out a form." "OK." and he came!! He was sooo nervous I don't even think he heard a word of the beginning of the program. Hermana Fernández gave a sweet tall about baptism and he was just sitting there in the front row staring ahead at nothing and we were a little bit concerned. And then Hermana draper and I and a member sang I need thee every hour for the musical number. During the song, I watched him close his eyes and pray. Then the baptism took place and ahh we were so happy and relieved. And Fran was too. I saw a huge difference. When he walked back into the capilla after being baptized he was actually smiling! He was so much more relaxed and the spirit was so strong! At the end they gave him a chance to share his testimony and we panicked for a second because we hadn't warned him. But he gave the sweetest, simplest testimony and I was grinning so big. I know this is the iglesia verdadera de Jesucristo and it is the best place to grow closer to him! We experienced a true miracle yesterday. And only had to spend 12 hours in the capilla to make it happen :)

And basically that's all I remember from the week because I think I've been forever traumatized. In a good way. The missions the best.

I hope you all have a good week and remember what a great treasure you have in your life. The restored gospel of Jesus christ in its fulness. We are so blessed! Love you!

Hermana Pendleton






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles save us

This week we just did a nice little tour of the south, which was very nice because all the other cities aren't as hot as malaga plus all the other hermanas pisos have air conditioning haha. We went from malaga to fuengirola to ronda to Jaén to Granada and back to malaga. And when we finally stepped of the bus back in malaga, the heat hit and humidity hit us harder than ever and we had already started back on filling those lakes just on our short walk back to piso. I love Málaga. On all of our very long bus rides we got very hungry but you're not allowed to eat on the buses because of Mascarillas. And the only food item we ever had was Pringles because it's the only good thing they sell at bus stations, so we would just slide one under the mask and into our mouths every few minutes when nobody was looking so we didn't starve to death. We really know how to do things right. When we were in Jaen on intercambios, we visited this cute member family. And like I said, they wer...

Rondaaaa

This week was a partyyyy! On Tuesday, our favorite members, Ana y Fernando, wanted to take us to their favorite buffet in fuengirola, but when we got there, the original buffet no longer exists, but in its place was a sushi buffet haha. So we went. First time sushi eater here. But my dear sweet little companion helped me pick the things that weren't gonna kill me so I very much appreciated that. And then Ana just Had to buy us these little owl family souvenirs with their names as the parents and me and Hermana Larsen as the children hahaha (pictured below) they're so sweet.  We had a Cita this week with an amiga named Joy. She's an amiga of the malaga 2 hermanas, but they're both Latinas and Joy doesn't speak Spanish so we're helping them out. She's so sweet. They had planned to teach her about. she evangelio de Jesucristo, the pasos that we have to take in this life, and invite her to be baptized. We started talking about the first paso, faith, and I asked ...

Lakes to slightly smaller lakes

A nice little heat wave from Africa came in the last couple days. In the form of very very hot wind. But it did take down the humidity levels from our normal 85%. So instead of sweating lakes all day, we are sweating slightly smaller lakes. Feeling very blessed. Except for actually not having the humidity for a day felt very strange. I felt like I was about to shrivel up from dehydration. Vamos a ver what utah does to me haha. But it's been a really good week! We had two intercambios which means a week full of parties and lots of lessons and lots of learning. Always so much fun. We have a friend named Sebastián and we were finally able to meet with him in person to give him a book of Mormón. He was so excited to have one and right after the lesson he was gonna head to the beach to lay out and read the book of mormón. But we ended up giving him two books because he wanted to share one with his mom as well. Que máquina! We also met with our friend Fredy and he came to church yesterda...