Skip to main content

¡Viva España! y ¡Feliz Pascua! (Long live Spain! and Happy Easter!)

This sister missionary finally made it to Spain!! It is beautiful here really. My last few days at the MTC were bittersweet; I really am going to miss the environment there and all the friends I made. But on to bigger and far better things! :) I successfully made it through my first two plane rides of my life (total flight time a total of 10ish hours) and our group of 13 landed safely down in Madrid with only two missing suitcases (not mine thankfully). President and Hermana Bussey are incredible people and I'm super excited that I get to work with them. My trainer is Hermana Ritman, she's from Surprise, Arizona and I'm in the Villalba area which is just north of Madrid I'm pretty sure and the members here are so cute. I'm finally almost over the jetlag but not quite. The first few days, I almost fell off my chair a couple of 20 times and couldn't keep my eyes open for anything, but I'm finally adjusting to the time change so that's made things a lot easier Haha. 

My first lesson in the field was definitely one for the books! We taught this man named Luis who is very old, very Spaniard, and very crazy. He apparently hadn't eaten in 2 days because he couldn't get up because he like broke his rib or something so we made him a smoothie. (But as soon as we got up to go to the kitchen, he got up right alongside us and starting bossing us around on exactly what he wanted). We finally attempted to teach a lesson. As I said before, Luis is very talkative. He talks very fast and very loud and then has to pause every few seconds to take like 10 very deep breaths and I was actually very afraid that he was going to pass out or something. I could hardly understand a word he said and neither could Hna Ritman. Basically what I got out of his yelling at us is that he doesn't understand the book of mormon at all and he thinks it's crazy. Luckily we had brought a member with us and so they had a fun little yelling session and by the end he resolved to try reading it again. He then showed us his garden, which is his pride and joy, and then gave us a little card that said we're best friends. What a guy. And what a great first lesson. ;)

In the last few days, we've also gotten to teach an English lesson to a cute member, a video call lesson to a different Luis, and the plan of salvation to a cute family with two little boys. Let me just say that the kids here in Villalba are some of the most adorable children I have ever seen in my life. And they come from all over the world. So far I think I have met someone from probably 75% of the Latin American countries plus a bunch of crazy Spaniards. 

There's this restaurant here called Kebab and I guess it's the missionary favorite so they took me there after district council to get "kebaptized." Not really sure what kind of meat they served me and they told me I didn't want to know so... 

I hope you all enjoyed your Easter Sunday! As I was studying "Come, Follow Me" this week, the Phrase stuck out to me that said: "Witnessing His death may have been a trial for some, but soon they became witnesses of the great miracle of His Resurrection." What a hard thing to go through, but what an incredible thing to witness! It was a powerful reminder to me that when things seem too hard, God is just preparing us for something more amazing than we can imagine.

I love you all and I hope you have an amazing week. Don't be afraid to share your testimony with others! 

Hermana Pendleton
(a name which every Spanish speaker looks at and doesn't even try)

Oh and P.S. my district leader is my second cousin (Elder Young) and my zone leader is a Skymountain/Quickwater amigo (Elder Muir)! And guess what mom?? I've already eaten green beans twice and not even because I was at a members house. Pure free will and choice.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pringles save us

This week we just did a nice little tour of the south, which was very nice because all the other cities aren't as hot as malaga plus all the other hermanas pisos have air conditioning haha. We went from malaga to fuengirola to ronda to Jaén to Granada and back to malaga. And when we finally stepped of the bus back in malaga, the heat hit and humidity hit us harder than ever and we had already started back on filling those lakes just on our short walk back to piso. I love Málaga. On all of our very long bus rides we got very hungry but you're not allowed to eat on the buses because of Mascarillas. And the only food item we ever had was Pringles because it's the only good thing they sell at bus stations, so we would just slide one under the mask and into our mouths every few minutes when nobody was looking so we didn't starve to death. We really know how to do things right. When we were in Jaen on intercambios, we visited this cute member family. And like I said, they wer...

Rondaaaa

This week was a partyyyy! On Tuesday, our favorite members, Ana y Fernando, wanted to take us to their favorite buffet in fuengirola, but when we got there, the original buffet no longer exists, but in its place was a sushi buffet haha. So we went. First time sushi eater here. But my dear sweet little companion helped me pick the things that weren't gonna kill me so I very much appreciated that. And then Ana just Had to buy us these little owl family souvenirs with their names as the parents and me and Hermana Larsen as the children hahaha (pictured below) they're so sweet.  We had a Cita this week with an amiga named Joy. She's an amiga of the malaga 2 hermanas, but they're both Latinas and Joy doesn't speak Spanish so we're helping them out. She's so sweet. They had planned to teach her about. she evangelio de Jesucristo, the pasos that we have to take in this life, and invite her to be baptized. We started talking about the first paso, faith, and I asked ...

Lakes to slightly smaller lakes

A nice little heat wave from Africa came in the last couple days. In the form of very very hot wind. But it did take down the humidity levels from our normal 85%. So instead of sweating lakes all day, we are sweating slightly smaller lakes. Feeling very blessed. Except for actually not having the humidity for a day felt very strange. I felt like I was about to shrivel up from dehydration. Vamos a ver what utah does to me haha. But it's been a really good week! We had two intercambios which means a week full of parties and lots of lessons and lots of learning. Always so much fun. We have a friend named Sebastián and we were finally able to meet with him in person to give him a book of Mormón. He was so excited to have one and right after the lesson he was gonna head to the beach to lay out and read the book of mormón. But we ended up giving him two books because he wanted to share one with his mom as well. Que máquina! We also met with our friend Fredy and he came to church yesterda...